Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring Break Homework (cont'd)



Well I finally finished my Spring Break homework. I choose "Crucifixion of St. Peter" by Guido Reni, I loved the drama of the moment, great contrast and more than one person in the painting. I used charcoal for this, and this is in my sketchbook, I really worried about getting a mess everywhere...I just gotta get over that...
The top picture is "St. Jerome" by Leonardo da Vinci. I only had one day to do this one and I pretty much finished it in about an hour and a half. I thought I really captured the look and feel of the original.
I was planning on doing a Singer-Sargent, Nude Egyptian Girl, but as I was doing okay with the body, the face, the real key to the painting was just giving me fits. I even did a study just of the face and I was just not having any luck with it....So I bailed, because the teacher should be able to tell what painting the sketch was from and without nailing the face, there was no way he was going to be able to tell it was a Sargent. Anyway, I was pretty proud of my homework.

No comments: